Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

You know you've hit adulthood when the phrase "Everyday should be Mother's Day!" crosses your mind. Crap. I'm old.

I had a divine Mother's Day. I was allowed to sleep in. I had some scrambled egg whites and coffee waiting for me when I woke up. There were no gifts or cards, but I did get exactly what I wanted.

My son, being as he's only 4, doesn't really "get" Mother's Day. My amazing boyfriend covered for him...which in turn amazes me. This man loves me, I know that...and I know he sees how hard Motherhood is. This doesn't necessarily mean he needs to acknowledge the holiday for me, however. My sweetheart is not the father of my son. We share no children. And yet, he knows that if he doesn't help observe this holiday for me, no one will. He's a keeper. I'm in love.

And to my child's 'father' (typically I use the term 'sperm donor'), once again, you've proven your deadbeatness. Thank you GOD that my son has an admirable man to look up to as a Father and not the one linked to him thru biology.

No comments: