Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Love being in Love...

Most days, I consider myself the luckiest girl in the world. There was a time - not all that long ago - where I was pretty certain that I'd go thru the rest of my life with Logan...just the two of us...and I'd be destined to die alone. Pretty much as soon as I resigned to that fact and came to terms with it, a man came into my life and changed my song. The blues became love songs. The clouds parted and sweet sunshine shined on me. The warmth of being loved continues to wrap itself around my heart daily. I'm blessed.

I met this amazing person in an uncommon way...but of course, I don't really DO things the typical way anyway. From that very first date, I knew I'd found someone special...someone who was amazingly even-keel, mellow, kind and sweet. Someone who didn't just listen to me, but heard what I had to say. My heart still flutters when I think back to that first few weeks...those days when I was dying to see if he'd call again...praying he would...counting down the hours until I could see him again. The best part about our relationship, even 14 months later?? I still feel that way!! I see his name on my cell phone and I get butterflies. He walks thru the door and I smile...just because he's coming towards me. I still love all those things I noticed the very first day...the mellowness, the fact that he is so slow to anger and so quick to forgive, his kindness and his sensitivity. What I didn't know on that first date was that he's never had a relationship with a woman last more than 4 months. I didn't know that I was the first girl he'd ever bring to a holiday with this family. I also didn't know how amazing his family is...how they would welcome me and my son with open hearts and arms as if we'd always been a part of their family.

Unlike this love of my life, I have been in long-term relationships before...relationships that were WORK and that seemed HARD...like most of the time, I was asking myself what the point of being with this person was if I spent most of my time feeling crappy about myself or questioning the motives of the person on the other half of the relationship. Now, I'm not naive. I realize that this man I am with and I WILL have rough times. I know that it won't always be sunshine and butterflies...but I also know that as a team, we do pretty dang well. We communicate in respectful conversations and our fights are very few and far between (2 in 14 months).

I consider myself extremely lucky. I may have had to wait 30 years for this man to come into my life...and he may have had to wait 35 years....however I firmly believe that the cosmos had an agenda unknown to me. I needed to go thru all the crappy relationships to appreciate how wonderful a relationship can be when both parties are respectful of the other. This man had to experience many short relationships to appreciate how wonderful it is to have someone there - thru the good and the bad...thru the thick and the thin...thru the clouds and the sun. They say Timing is everything...and after all this time and all these experiences....I believe that cliche....

No comments: