Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Egocentric Personalities Irritate Me...

My mom has a brother who is 12 years younger than she is. Scott. He was 16 when I was born and was my grandparents "oopsie" baby. The guy has been spoiled since the day he was born. Anything his heart desired as a child, he received...and as a teenager, he became a drug addict. I'm assume that at first, it was just drinking and smoking some weed...but he once told me he'd done every drug there was. He got two different girls pregnant a total of 3 or 4 times and all pregnancies were medically terminated - and my grandmother, a devote Catholic, took care of these girls so they could keep it a secret from their own parents. My uncle is now in his late 40's and is the ultimate vicitim. Nothing is ever his fault....he blames anyone or anything he can for his 'misfortune' of being chronicly poor. Nevermind that he pissed away his share of my grandparents estate...he was given a vehicle AND a house AND a cabin free and clear and no longer has any of those things. He has a fried brain from decades of drug use and the most egocentric personality ever and the very thought of him makes my blood boil.

This was not always the case, however. I used to adore this guy. However after years and years of him disappointing me over and over and over, I have learned that he is as reliable as wet matches and it's best if he is not in my life.

Last summer when I bought my house, my mom suggested that I 'hire' him to help me paint my house before I moved it. He needed the money and I needed the help and so it was going to work out really well, right?? If only. He talked me into painting my ceiling before doing anything else so I went down to Home Depot and got everything we'd need for that project. I also bought a new lock for my door. The short version of this story is that midway thru the job of painting my ceiling, he got angry at a comment I made about how Logan shouldn't have any say in who I date (Logan was 2 at the time) and that as Logan's mom, I wasn't about to introduce him to anyone until I knew there was going to be a future in the relationship. Scott got SO MAD at me for that comment that he stormed out of my house with the ceiling unfinished and the lock on my door 1/2 way finished. I haven't talked to him since.

Fast forward to today. I meet my mom at the mall so we can see Santa and in with her walks Scott. He's now walking with a cane...he's aged probably 5 years in the year and a half it's been since i've seen him...and after he greets Logan, he tries to hug me...and without making a scene or anything, I just quietly say "I have nothing to say to you, Scott" when he comes in for the hug. I then grabbed Logan's hand and off towards Santa we went. He was screaming after me in the mall and I just kept walking...my face burning the entire time.

Now...I am the one with the unfinished house. He's angry I never paid him. Why would i pay for a job left unfinished?? Where I come from, you get paid at the end of services rendered. Then he was yelling about some message I left on his phone?? I haven't even dialed his number since July 17th, 2007...the day this all went down.

I know there's nothing anyone can do. I know that this may never be resolved...and that I might either have to just suck it up and get over it or lose any sort of relationship I ever had with this guy. Is it horrible that I don't care?? I don't think I would shed a tear if I never saw him again. He wore me out. I can't invest anymore time or effort or will to care into him because I don't want to waste any energy on the disappointment. I struggle more with what everyone else will think if I 'cut him out' than what he will think. I know my grandparents are looking down at me and shaking their heads...but I can't tell if they're shaking at me or at Scott. They're not here to bail him out now. And everytime I look at my ceiling, I silently cuss out Scott...fucking asshole.

1 comment:

Minxy Mimi said...

WOW, he sounds like a jerk who doesnt care or know who he hurts.
You are right to let it, and him go. Some people are just not worth you trying to save. Let someone else try now. Sorry.